Formed in 1993 by the Maastricht Treaty, the European Union is one of the most powerful economic and regional unions in the world. It has 28 member states, the latest one being Croatia, which joined the EU on the first of July 2013. It has many institutions from all over the gubernatorial spectrum, like the European Parliament, European Court of Justice, and the European Commission. The European Union’s goal is to expand as much as possible, until one day it hopefully includes every European state, while promoting strong economic and political relations between its countries. Its mandate is to pool together the sovereignty of its members, most of which were once global superpowers that have now individually diminished, and create a powerful European state that has a say in the goings-on of the highest echelons of international politics and diplomacy. The EU votes by consensus, meaning that a directive (resolution) will fail if even one member-state votes against it.
This committee is designed for both beginners and experienced delegates alike. Position papers, although strongly recommended, are not required. However, delegates who wish to be considered for an award must submit their position papers by Sunday, January 8, 2017, at 11:59 pm. More information about position papers will be found on page 3 of each Background Guide.
In 2010, as part of the ‘Europe 2020’ vision, the social inclusion, education, and ultimately the improvement of the quality of life of those living below the poverty line were discussed. Plans to improve the GDP of every member of the EU as well as Croatia, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Turkey were consolidated; they outlined methods as to improve their economy, accessibility to education, and physical living conditions, all of which are important factors in improving the living conditions of minority groups- especially those with refugee status. However, the situation of the EU has drastically changed since 2010, and the question of how to implement these plans still remains.
Contrary to the last topic, Topic B concerns other neighbouring countries in addition to member states of the EU. There are three main areas of discussion for this topic: the potential use of the economic resources found in the region, the possible scientific advancements that could go towards research concerning climate change, and the use of a large area of land as expansion due to the increasing human population.
Taïs Trépanier | Director
Taïs Trépanier is a grade 12 student finishing her last year of the IB diploma at École Secondaire Jules-Verne. This will be her fourth consecutive year actively participating in Model United Nations and her first time as a Director of a committee. She has however been the Under Secretary General for a small local French MUN conference and has participated in over 7 conferences as a delegate. She is extremely excited to be directing the EU and sharing her experience with the delegates as they find solutions to improving living conditions and the condition of the Arctic. Aside from delving into the world of international politics, Taïs enjoys playing water polo, volunteering at her local hospital and spending time with her friends and family.
Trenton Sewell | Chair
Trenton is currently a grade 12 student attending Stratford Hall studying in the IB Program. He has partaken in a variety of MUN conferences since his first in Grade 7, all of which have stoked a love of public speaking and global affairs. This passion for tackling global affairs partly led to him joining debate where – during his two years – he has competed on both the national and international stage, earning himself a place on the 2016/17 Canadian National Debate Team. Beyond academic studies and MUN, Trenton volunteers with Cottonwood Community Garden, serves as the coach and administrator of his school’s debate team, and manages the schools Stock Investment Club. Trenton is ecstatic to serve as the Chair of the European Union at VMUN 2017 and looks forward to creating an engaging and entertaining conference for all delegates!
Edward Yu | Assistant Director
Edward is currently a senior at St. George’s School. He attended his first MUN conference in San Francisco three years ago, and ever since he has loved every aspect of MUN. Edward wastes 99% of his time on fantasy hockey, PoGo, Chel, Facebook and other useless activities that will definitely not be helping him get into university. In the other 1% of the time when he isn’t wasting his time – he plays Tennis, Field Hockey, and Soccer; and is heavily involved in Service. One thing Edward dislikes, or rather hates is spiders. Edward has a quite rational fear of spiders, especially when they are raining from the sky (Australia…).
You can contact the Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Any questions regarding the committee or its debate procedures will be answered by email. Position papers must also be submitted to this address.